1 PORTRAIT OF HENRY PRESTON:
This portrait, dating from 1926, is currently located on the wall of what was originally Henry Preston’s office in the museum. By an unknown artist, it celebrates the crucial role Preston played in the history of the Grantham Museum as its founder and curator. The subject is shown resting his hand on a prehistoric collared urn which formed one of his original collection.
2 ANGLO-SAXON SILVER DRINKING HORN TERMINAL (8TH CENTURY)
Medium: cast gilt silver Dimensions: 3.8 × 1.55cm
Art Funded in: 2005
This piece was discovered on ploughed land in Grantham by a metal detector and was declared a local treasure in 2003. It is believed that this discovery indicates a cultured elite, capable of fine quality craftmanship, living in the Lincolnshire area as early as the 8th century.
3 BARONESS THATCHER’S BLUE SUIT AND HANDBAG
Born in Grantham, Baroness Thatcher was the first female prime minister (1979-1990) and leader of the Conservative party (1975-1990). These pieces were kindly donated to the Museum by Baroness Thatcher. Many, such as her dresses and handbag, are personal effects from her time as prime minister. For more information on Baroness Thatcher please visit: http://www.margaretthatcher.org/
4 PORTRAIT OF ISAAC NEWTON BY SIR GODFREY KNELLER (1646 – 1723) PAINTED 1721
MEDIUM: OIL ON CANVAS DIMENSIONS: 125 × 100 CM
ART FUNDED IN: 1988
Sir Godfrey Kneller (1646 – 1723), was a celebrated portrait painter and associated with the British Court from the Restoration period through to the reign of George I. He was born in Germany and studied under Rembrandt in Amsterdam. Kneller was founder of the first English Academy in 1711 and his style combined elements of the French Augustan school with the traditions of Van Dyck and Lely. Famous subjects include Charles II and a series of 48 portraits of noted political and academic figures, called the ‘Kit-Cat portraits’. His 1721 painting of Sir Isaac Newton is one of three known to have been executed by the artist throughout Newton’s life and captures both the artist and subject at the pinnacle of their careers. It is a fine example of Kneller’s expression of Augustan style – sombre and rational, but richly detailed. Another of these Newton portraits is held in the collection of the National Portrait Gallery. Grantham Museum received art funding to purchase this important piece of history in 1988
5 THE 3RD EDITION OF NEWTON’S “PRINCIPIA”
A 3rd edition copy of Isaac Newton’s Principia bound in calf, with arms of the Grantham Grammar School on the front, the arms of Bishop Fox on the back and the Borough Arms of Grantham on the spine. This book was presented to Lord Brougham at the inauguration of the Newton Statue on St Peter’s Hill on 21st September 1858. It is said to have been carried from the Grammar School in the procession to the Statue by the Head Boy (Thomas Stow) who was afterwards one of the first members of Grantham Museum Committee.
6 THE DEAE MATRES – KINDLY ON LOAN TO US FROM ANCASTER PARISH COUNCIL.
The statue found in Ancaster in 1831 shows three pregnant women. One is holding a loaf of bread, another a basket of fruit while the third carries a lamb and a bowl. These Celtic goddesses were worshipped before the Roman occupation and became a part of Roman worship after the conquest.
7 THE UNDERBELLY GUNNER’S HATCH FROM LANCASTER ED825, KINDLY ON LOAN TO US FROM THE RAF.
Lancaster ED825 had been built at Avro’s Woodford factory in Manchester. It was the third aircraft to be completed with the special ‘Type 464 Provisioning’ Dambuster modifications. The first two aircraft (ED765 and ED817) were used in the dropping trials of the new weapon. ED825 was flown to the Aircraft and Armament Experimental Establishment at Boscombe Down for tests to determine how the modified aircraft would fly.
In December 1943, 617 Squadron received a request for help in dropping supplies to the underground forces in France. Flying Officer Weeden flew ED825 on the December 10th 1943 mission. ED825 did not return from this mission. It was rediscovered on a hill overlooking the town of Doullens in the Somme region of France. ED825 had been set alight by flak over the town and flown into the hill side just 35 seconds later. Sadly all the crew died in the crash.
8 THE MONTINARI WAX DOLL
The Montanari wax doll display was a popular attraction at the Great Exhibition of 1851. Augusta Montanari was born in Grantham in 1818 and went on to become a supplier of dolls to Queen Victoria. She pioneered the poured wax technique of doll-making, and her dolls were noted for both their fine costuming and the range of ages portrayed.
9 AVELING BARFORD ROAD ROLLER MODEL
This piece demonstrates Aveling Barford’s international stature. It is a scale model of an Aveling Barford Road Roller which operates by remote control. It was built from scratch by Mr Eric Whittaker. There are also two power cables and a remote control console which operates the road roller.
10 THE BMARCO BOAT
This piece illuminates the importance of Aveling Barford to the war effort. Modelled on a wartime ship, the “HMS Grantham” has the BMarco guns installed which is one of its most compelling features.